CLICK HEADLINES TO READ FULL POST
- Frenchy and Flimp get Into It in today’s Comic StripToday’s comic strip teaches another lesson. Arguments and insults are all as pointless as this comic strip. Arguments and insults will never solve anything. Always look at the good in your adversary and discuss your issues democratically. If not, you end up looking as silly as Frenchy and Flimp appear in this week’s comic strip.
- Frenchy’s Nasty Hot DogThere was a time when I hated hot dogs. They are still never my “meal of choice”. In a pinch, they can do the job and curb my appetite. One fond hot dog memory of mine takes me back to my first trip to Las Vegas with my wife and her family. At the time, I hated hot dogs. Alss, at the time, Las Vegas offered free offers to drive you into their casinos. The big freebie they all offered was a free hot dog. I do not pass up free food. I ate so many hotdogs that I learned to like hot dogs enough to scarf down every free dog available.
- Blue Questions his Existence in Today’s Comic StripIn today’s comic strip, I have featured Blue. I really want to build him and Turtle up in the comic strip as I begin development on an animated version of Charmy’s Army. Since I am failing miserably with newspaper placement this year, I am force to switch gears and try pitching an animated version. I have no contacts for this so I am probably running with scissors towards a dead-end alley… but I have to give this a shot. It may be my last shot… because… scissors. Maybe I will put the scissors down as I run this time.
- Warrior Wench Wendy Greets a Young Fan in Today’s Comic StripToday, Frenchy meets a fan in this week’s comic strip… or she thinks she does. Sometimes people admire others for reasons that do not matter in the grand scheme of things. On the reverse side of the coin, I have met some big cartoonists who I believed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread… only to discover they are huge jerks who are bothered to speak to you for more than 3 minutes. I met a pro wrestler recently who began plying with his phone as soon as I began talking. He never made eye contact or spoke with me. No names, but it was a major let down. I gave him an original drawing too.
- Gooser Dadburn’s Goose is Cooked in Today’s Comic StripIn today’s comic strip, I present four panels with four completely different camera angles. More and more comic strips are using the same freaking shot, panel after panel… strips after strips. This look is so boring and stale. I love changing the scenes and building an impact from scene to scene. The fact I have to draw a different scene may slow the production down and make a ton of extra work, but it is worth it because I want to give my readers an experience. Plus, those other comic strips just look lazy.
- INKtober Day 31 – Laurel and HardyINKtober today features the greatest comedic duo to have ever lived. I am a HUGE Laurel and Hardy fan and I have been all of my life. I am nearing completion of a comic book starring these two amazing comedians. I have read several Laurel and Hardy comic books and they never capture the magic of the actual comedians. My goal is to create a story so endearing and so true-to the-boys that the tale would fill that void in my heart. After seeing every existing Laurel and Hardy short and feature film, I am yearning for something new and worth of their namesake. I have that story in the works.
- INKtober Day 30 – Bugs Bunny in DragI am winding up INKtober 2020 with some crazy stuff. Bugs Bunny never takes himself seriously and here is a prime example. Bugs loved toying with his enemies by dressing up as a lady and flirting with them…. making a fool out of them in the process. Decades before Monty Python’s Flying Circus went drag for a good laugh, Bugs Bunny had already charted that territory.
- INKtober Day 29 – Bugs Bunny goes HollywoodToday, I continue the Bunny in a Hole series with the spoiled Hollywood Bugs. What I love about Bugs Bunny is his ability to take on multiple personas. By going incognito, Bugs can play all sorts of tricks on Elmer who is too dumb to see through Bugs’ disguise. This gives Bugs freedom to display his gifted skills at acting. This INKtober will continue tomorrow with one last “Bunny in a Hole” sketch card.
- INKtober Day 28 – Bugs Bunny as a Big BabyI cannot recall the first time I watched Bugs Bunny on television. I look back on my life and that screwy rabbit was always there. I do recall always loving the older cartoons. The older the better. I also recall always loving Bugs being pitted against Elmer Fudd over any other nemesis. Elmer had a way of making you feel sorry for him… but just a little. You felt sorry enough to care, but you still wanted Bugs Bunny to reign triumphant.
- INKtober Day 27 – Speedy from Teen TitansToday, for INKtober, I present SPEEDY!. I loved his run in Teen Titans Go. In my vision of Teen Titans, the team is a bit larger than in the previous two animated series. Robin is still the leader, but Speedy is Robin’s internal rival as a struggle for power plays out. As I had previously reviewed about my vision of Teen Titans, season one would have Robin and Starfire dating. They breakup at the end of season one and Starfire returns to her planet. Robin begins a relationship with Batgirl in Season two. Season three shows the return of Starfire who is still in love with Robin. Once she discovers Robin’s new realtionship with Batgirl, she confides in Speedy. Even more fuel to Robin and Speedy’s rivalry is tossed onto the fire.
- INKtober – Day 26 – Cyborg from Teen TitansToday for INKtober 2020, I have drawn Cyborg the way I see him. I used the style of Teen Titans Go and then I modified him to fit my own vision. I modified his armor and appendages to be more robotic. I changed the line weights to match my own style to perfection. This Teen Titans drawing came out SO much better than the previous illustrations.
- INKtober Day 25 – StarfireHailing from a galaxy far, far away, Starfire is a Princess from the planet Tamaran. Wait, does that make her a Disney Princess? No… Disney owns Marvel. Nevermind. Anyway, she flies down to Earth and joins Teen Titans, dates Robin, disappears to save her own world and get married there twice only to come back and try to win Robin back. See! I can do better than THAT!!! Man, I would love to rewrite this story! Give the the 2021 reboot!!!!
- INKtober Day 24 – Raven from the Teen TitansRaven rocks! She is so dark and spooky… but can also open up at times to reveal a big heart. You just cannot help but feel something special within her character. In my rendition of the Teen Titans, Raven would rarely hide her face with that hood and would be a person who struggles with connecting with others. Raven would be extremely shy, yet would push herself to fit in with the team. In my Teen Titans creation, Raven would be a reflection of my own childhood as I struggled with extreme shyness.
- INKtober Day 23 – Robin from The Teen TitansToday, I am presenting Robin from the Teen Titans. Robin makes the perfect leader of this adolescent team of super heroes. He has just enough insanity in his personality to make his leadership sheer brilliance. All great leaders need a little madness in their brains. Why else would they want to be a leader in the first place? All that stress and responsibility. You have to be a little mad or you’d go crazy. Does that make sence?
- INKtober Day 22 – Beast Boy from Teen TitansHere is a little secret, I absolutely love the cartoon series for bot Teen Titans and for Teen Titans Go. I do prefer the original series over the “Go Season”, but both are so freaking fun. The original series was more serious and held the readers captivated as they waited for Robin and Starfire to connect romantically. The show also dug into all of the characters more, keeping you emotionally attached to the entire team. The new “Go” series is just a series of one-off events that are silly and are “not to be taken seriously”…. but are SO FUN!
- INKtober Day 21 – Mickey Mouse as Steamboat WillieToday, for INKtober 2020, I choice to draw Mickie Mouse as Steamboat Willie. I plan on making a complete set of nine cards in the future if I receive enough interest in this post. I would love to draw a few more of Mickey’s characters performances such as The Wizard, The Band Conductor, and Bob Cratchit. If you’d love to see my interpretations of more Mickey Mouse portrayals, please LIKE this blog and leave me a few comments!
- Blue has Words to Live By in Today’s Comic StripI live my Blue’s wise words. I have not posted any INKtober drawings in nearing a week because I have been “shuffling the deck”. My day job has become a huge consumer of my time. I work through lunch and put in about 10 hours every day. I am just exhausted when I get home. I ma so happy though because this just means I have job security. As I have revealed a few weeks ago to everyone, this cartooning “thing” is turning out to be just a little hobby. I cannot make a successful run with my silly drawings, so to have a day job who needs me as much as this company needs me is much like a warm blanket in the winter time.
- INKtober Day 20 – HIM from The Powerpuff GirlsThe Powerpuff Girls ran over 30 years ago back when character like this was perceived as a bit shocking. HIM is a a powerful, flamboyant demon, and The Powerpuff Girls’ secondary antagonist. HIM is the king of darkness, and by far their greatest villain.
- INKtober Day 19 – Bubbles from The Powerpuff GirlsToday’s INKtober 2020 drawing features Bubbles from the Powerpuff Girls. Bubbles is the sweet, innocent one of the threesome. I always marveled at the creative direction each of the three Powerpuff Girls pivoted towards. The entire show was filled with a great variety of personalities. Each character was so very different than the next. This formula is missing from so many animated cartoons.
- INKtober Day 18 – BlossomINKtober 2020 – Day 18 – Blossom from the Powerpuff Girls as interpreted by Davy Jones,
- It’s a Blue Day in Today’s Comic StripI am out to prove to the world that I am the next big cartoonist. Hobbyist? Bwa ha ha ha ha!!!! Oh my, that is NOT me. Yes, I did pout all of last weekend like a big baby… but I also plotted as I brewed. Charmy’s Army is a masterpiece unlike anything in syndication today. My huge following of readers prove that to be fact. I am no hobbyist. I am going to figure this out and turn this around.
- INKtober Day 17 – Buttercup from The Powerpuff GirlsI want to draw the Powerpuff Girls over the next few days. I do not want to use the traditional style because I am using INKtober to showcase the way I draw… and how I interoperate other cartoon characters. I made the body bigger to work better for action sequences. I guess, my vision of the Powerpuff Girls has them aged up about three more years. One quick note, my fine pen broke when pulling a line in her eye. Totally screwed up the drawing. That is why I went with the dark look under the eyes… I was attempting to correct the error. The result is a darker looking character.
- INKtober Day 16 – The WB FrogSo, for INKtober, I decided to draw the Michigan J. Frog… but I wanted to draw him as he should be seen. His charm has NOTHING to do with his dancing feet and amazing singing voice. To me, his charm is the deadpan, near lifeless look Michigan exposes when making a fool of the guy attempting to use him for his own personal greed. This is pure genius. No one else is drawing this angle, so I am setting myself apart.
- INKtober Day 15 – Cow!Looking back, I cannot believe “Cow and Chicken” only ran so three years. The show was such a huge part of my television viewing with my two sons. This only proves how slowly life moved before all the stress sets in over the years at you day jobs. Back during that era, I had responsibilities, but they were not on such a high level as they are now. Weeks fly by like days now. I hope when I retire in twenty years that time slows back to the crawl experienced when my kids were toddlers.
- INKtober Day 14 – Chicken!This was a ton of fun to draw! Chicken is one of the craziest characters I have ever seen on television. Between the animation style and the zany voice talent of Charlie Adler. Charlie was the voice of the main cast. He voiced Cow, Chicken, The Devil aka the Red Guy. Other credits to Adler’s career includes Tiny Toons, d The Wild Thornberrys, Rocket Power, All Grown Up!, The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack, The Replacements and many other of the shows we all grew up with.
- INKtober Day 13 – The DevilProbably one of the strangest cartoon shows I have ever watched was “Cow and Chicken”. The antagonist was The Devil… a nude character who loved to show off his butt. The crazy this is that I never looked at this show of the naked devil as being disturbing. My kids thought the characters were extremely funny, so the show was on the top of our “watch list”. The Deil is the perfect choice for today’s INKtober 2020 entry!
- INKtober Day 12 – Hoss DelgadoI love obscure characters! I asked my Facebook following for someone obscure from “The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy”, and here was the response. Hoss Delgado! Hoss is a spectral exterminator, hunting down monsters like werewolves, and various other supernatural phenomena. Hoss developed a crush on Eris, the goddess of chaos . They dated for a while, but the relationship was not to be. Dating the goddess of chaos had an adverse effect on the world, turning the world into a peaceful realm. This created too much order everywhere, putting Hoss of the monster hunting business. Hoss had no chose but to break up with her.
- INKtober Day 11 – GrimGrim is introduced into the story after losing to Billy and Mandy in a limbo contest. By the way, Mandy cheated for the win. In the terms of the lost bet, Grim is now forced to be Billy and Mandy’s best friend forever. If Grim does not live up to his commitment, he will be stripped of his powers and be forced to spend eternity in Underworld Jail. HOW CREATIVE!!!
- INKtober Day 10 – BillySo, who is Billy? Billy is Mandy and Grim’s friend. He is a dim-witted, happy-go-lucky boy living in Endsville. He has an extremely low IQ of -5, having been outperformed by even inanimate objects. Good-natured and incredibly dopey, Billy’s curiosity tends to get him into trouble he can’t get out of by himself. His dim-witted nature is his charm… and the reason for a lot of the misadventures the team finds themselves caught up in.
- Blue Gets Some Love in the next Series of Comic StripsI have not focused on my character named “Blue” since the newspaper run began. Over the next few comic strips, we will give a little love to Blue and focus on what makes him tick. If I can ever get an animated series moving forward, Blue, Turtle, Sarge, and Doc will become big players in the animated stories.
- INKtober Day 9 – MandyHere is another cartoon series that revolutionized the business of animation. “The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy” debuted in 2000 on Cartoon Network as a “test run” and began its series run the following year.
- INKtober Day 8 – Tweety BirdWho doesn’t love Tweety Bird? For me, his best moments are when Tweety makes that mischievous, evil glance. He is just like my chihuahua, Boo Boo. They both look so innocent but you know evil thoughts and plans are brewing in their brains. It is always the petite, loveable characters that you need to watch out for.
- INKtober Day 7 – Duck DodgersI spoke earlier about how the new generation of cartoons in the 90’s reshaped the industry. This lead to the rebirth of Duck Dodgers as a television series for three years in the year 2004. It was an amazing show which brought back Porky Pig alongside of Daffy Duck.
- INKtober Day 6 – Eugene the JeepI wanted to draw some obscure for my INKtober sketch cards this year. The odd-ball subjects seem to sell quickly at my comic con appearances. How much more obscure can you get than Eugene the Jeep from Popeye? I remember seeing “Jeep” in the old Fleischer cartoons. “Jeep” was so weird!
- INKtober Day 5 – Courage the Cowardly DogOut of all the amazing cartoons that emerged for my two sons, my favorite was “Courage the Cowardly Dog”. The show was so twisted. I was surprised at how much my two boys loved the show. I figured the show would be way over their heads. I also assumed the oddness would make the show a bit boring for them, but they ate up “Courage The Cowardly Dog”. So, today I pay tribute to this amazing show which plays out in my happy memories of my two sons.
See even MORE posts!
#comics #charmysarmy #webcomics #davyjones #cartoonistdavyjones #GoComics #KingFeatures #newspapercomicstrips