CLICK HEADLINES TO READ FULL POST
- Flimp Messes with some Dangerous ChemicalsHere is a comic strip where the story is going to expand later into a full comic book. Once I get syndicated, I hope to convince the syndicates into letting me publish a monthly comic book digitally on their website. Each book would be based upon a single strip, or series of strips, which need(s) further exploring. This week’s single strip is a great example.
- Frenchy beats the @#$@ out of a ghost in today’s comic stripComicpalooza was scheduled for this weekend. Of course, as with all comic cons scheduled this month, this show did not go on as originally planned. Out of all the show appearances I do each year, Comicpalooza is the one show where I make a good chunk of change, I walk away from this show with enough money to fund two more show appearances. Without Comicpalooza, my year is shot. Even if I am able to have a show or two take place this year, I will struggle to break even because I doubt any show this year will have a large attendance.
- The Gang Plummet to their Deaths in today’s Comic Strip!Okay, so they are not plummeting to their deaths. I have to make my descriptions enticing so my readers are drawn in to read my comic strip and my weekly blog. Now that I have your attention, let me elaborate on today’s comic strip. This week’s strips was a joy to create! As I was sketching in this week’s comic strip, I knew the presentation would be epic. I am a huge fan of comic strips that change up the visuals in each panel. Changing each panel as drastically as I present here makes for a breathtaking look.
- Today’s Comic Strip is so Terrifying that Flimp Passes Out!Just a quick update. Nerd Fest 2020 has been cancelled. I received word on this a few days ago. My next show is August 1 and 2, but I have not seen any updates on their website. I have had quite a few people ask me about the show’s status. August is still a long distance into the future and this show typically does not announce guests until closer to showtime. I am very confident the show will take place. When it does, I plan on being there for you all… unless the scenario is dangerous for you. Again we are months away and I know the promoter. He is awesome and will do what is best for all… READ MORE…
- Charmy Launches on Comixology TODAY!History begins today as we mark the debut of Charmy’s Army on ComiXology! Charmy’s Army – Year One collects all 52 comic strips from the newspaper debut of Davy’s comic strip starring a troop of army ants and a little monkey. At the time, no one had any idea how insanely popular this silly comic strip would become.
- Charmy Jumps Out of an Airplane!So what is my next leap? I am going to request membership, FULL MEMBERSHIP, in the National Cartoonists Society. Full membership has been my dream since I was 12 years old. To be a member of a club where Charles M. Schulz was a member means more than anyone could ever know. To be part of a society where only the cream of the crop has risen would mean true success for a dream only a few at one time believed I am destined to achieve. After the past highly successful years, most everyone believes in my dream. Hard work pays off.
- My Digital Comic Book comes to ComixologyOnce I launch on May 6, 2020, a media blitz will hit with links to the digital comic book featuring the treasury collection of my comic strip. Please stay TOON’ed! Thank you for supporting my dream!
- How Turtle Presses his Luck!I am always thinking of my dear grandmother who I always referred to as Hoo Hoo. She was the first character I gave a name to… Hoo Hoo. She was the driving force behind my faith and my creative talent as she was highly supportive of both my love of God and my passion for cartooning…. READ MORE
- Flimp is STILL Eating Garbage!!!!Thursday, I received an email congratulating me on having my comic book picked up for distribution through Comixology and Amazon. I am freaking approved! In under a week, I have become a real “PUBLISHED” cartoonist. In a few weeks, my digital collection will be available for purchase. (read more)…
- Flimp Eats Garbage!!!!! GROSS!!!! Today’s comic strip goes too far!!!!!!!As you can see in today’s comic strip, the three flies have returned! Trivia time!!!!! The flies have names. The name of the crazy fly is… CLICK TO SEE MORE.
- What is the #rEVOLUTION Movement?NEW VISION! I now want to share my hashtag to bring happiness to the world by uniting artists together with one common goal. I want artists to use their talent to better the lives of people across the world. Together, we can use our God given talents to ease the pain of our nation. The main priority is to give, not receive. If you use the hashtag to sell something, like a digital comic book, you must offer something free along with the download.
- Missing Your Favorite Comic Con? Davy has a Solution!I feel your pain. My brain has been running in circles with idea after idea as my pea brain tries to figure out how I can give you all that comic con experience. I think I have a great plan. You are all meeting that thrill of meeting your idols. You miss getting prints from your favorite artists. You miss that haul of goodies. You miss your running buddies who you share that experience with. I want to give you the joy you feel at these pop culture events. Most of all, I want to help you all escape from the scary world we are walking in. More on that in a second.
- Reuben Awards Predictions from Davy Jones!This is the OSCARS for cartoonists. It is the Wrestlemania for dreamers. Winning a Reuben cements your legacy. Getting nominated ain’t chopped liver either. Just to be nominated for a Reuben is one of the items in my bucket list.
- No MSG in THIS Comic Strip!!! – The #rEVOLUTION Begins…I have never been more excited to present the world with a story that will change everything. Never has a comic strip branched out into the dark world of Graphic Novels. I am not revealing anything yet. I will inform you that the beginning, the middle, the twist, and the tear jerking ending is finalized. You will never look at any other comic strip again without comparing them to Charmy’s Army. I am going to set that bar so high!
- Mushy Kissing in today’s Comic Strip… YUCK!!!Frenchy and Flimp make a great duo! Flimp may not appear at first to be needed here, right? WRONG! Flimp was added for a reason. Read the strips AGAIN but imagine that flimp is not there. Without the presence of Flimp, Frenchy’s comments will sound mean-spirited. With Flimp the Chimp in place, Frenchy’s comments have a more playful appeal. Flimp’s dumb-founded expression at the end softens the blow.
- Never Anger a MonkeyYikes! The Corona Virus is scaring the jeepers out of everyone and the pill is hard to swallow. South By Southwest is a huge music festival in Austin, Texas with people traveling into the city from all over the world to enjoy the massive concert event which plays all over Austin. The festival stills into small bars as well as the local stadium. There are millions of dollars to be made… and the event was cancelled due to fears of the Corona Virus. This cancellation will seriously hurt the economy in Austin as well as the small business owners who depend on the annual event to keep their doors open.
- Frenchy will Believe AnythingDavy the Selling Man Some of you have seen me at my comic con appearances. If you have, you know I am a great salesman! I love talking to people and I love to pitch something I believe in. What I love most about appearing at my comic cons is the fact that I get … Continue reading Frenchy will Believe Anything
- Things are not adding up for Frenchy!Back in late September, I am certain someone placed a curse on me. My kitchen flooded right as my wife and I were walking out the door for our first vacation together in nearly two decades. Big changes at the day job placed huge new roles on top of the massive tasks I was already responsible for… plus my best friends at the job were all let go. Little things here and there kept piling up all through December. January also kept tacking on more rough spots… but February began rolling so smoothly.
- Charmy is Wounded… Takes the Shot… in today’s Comic StripAnyone who knows me is aware of the fact that I hate needles. I pass out when I get a simple flu shot. Today’s comic strip is inspired by true-life events, you could say. Between this fear and the fear of public speaking, my life has been full of moments with profuse sweating. Surprisingly, my … Continue reading Charmy is Wounded… Takes the Shot… in today’s Comic Strip
- Davy’s Cartooning Dream is Over!Yes, that is correct. After years of dreaming about becoming a REAL cartoonist, I have decided to take a deep breathe, look back at my long running dream, and make a hard call…. I AM DROPPING MY CHILDHOOD DREAM For decades, I have worked so hard on my cartoons. I keep telling everyone about my … Continue reading Davy’s Cartooning Dream is Over!
- Today’s Comic Strip will Make Your Heart Melt.This year, I will be leading the panel about cartooning. My panel will also include Ryan Shaw, an amazing artist who I met a few years ago. The panel will be answering anything the audience wants to learn about. Since this crowd will be made up of young kids who have never been to a panel before, I am prepping a bunch of questions to have on hand for kids to pick from. Here are a list of 20 questions for the panel.
- This week’s comic strip – “Clone Alone” – Plus an Ode to Monty Python’s Terry JonesThis week, we lost Terry Jones of Monty Python fame. Terry was the second Python I was introduced to. I was 12 years old ad working Saturdays at a local cattle auction. I normally arrived back home around 11:00 pm smelling like cow poop. I was a huge fan of Saturday Night Live, but by the time I cleaned up… cow poop takes a long time to remove… I had time to see one skit on Saturday Night Live.
- Charmy Wrestlers with the Unpopular Truth.I agree with turtle. Those two look so fake in today’s comic strip.
- Charmy gets a Tattoo!!!Tattoos are all the rage these days so it only makes sense that Charmy would get a tattoo… or does it. Charmy hates needles. I am betting he was passed out during the inking process!
- Warrior Wench Wendy Tackles a GiantWarrior Wench Wendy tackles a giant dragon in today’s comic strip.
- Frenchy, the Birthday Girl in All Her Glory!Well, when this comic strip becomes a cultural phenomenon, you can chalk this strip up as answering a future trivia question. When is Frenchy’s Birthday? Frenchy was born on January 1st! You can answer with more detail and sound like a super fan by responding, Frenchy was born on January 1st at One in the morning. Now, as for the YEAR she was born, no one may ever know. I definitely too afraid to ask Frenchy what her age is. I dare say that no one is brave enough. Even to take a guess would mean a painful retaliation.
- Davy’s Art – 2019 Top 10For the first time in 5 years, I actually made a little money at every appearance. 2019 was awesome! I want to share with everyone my Top 10 Art Pieces for 2019 so you can see why my show appearances were so successful.
- Who is that girl?In case you have not noticed, I love drawing black eyes. Charmy has been on the receiving end of quite a few knuckle sandwiches. There was the time Frenchy popped him in the eye for eating her sandwich. There was the time Frenchy smacked him in the eye with a rolling pin after Charmy read her diary on Facebook live. Then there was the time Frenchy socked him in the eye after Charmy switched out her deodorant with a block of cream cheese. Seems every black eye was delivered by Charmy.
- How to Pronounce “Pecan”For decades, people have been arguing over the correct pronunciation of the word pecan. Thousands of hours of research have been exhausted. I have interviewed people from all over the United States and Europe and I feel confident that this paradox has been resolved.
- Santa is REALLY Mad at Frenchy!The holidays are here! You can tell just by looking at the traffic around the shopping centers and malls. People are in a panic trying to get all of their gifts purchased. Thanksgiving arrived late this year so there are fewer shopping days before Christmas. As for myself, I am so behind on my shopping. This has more to do with my comic strip commitments than it does with the shortened buying season.
- Frenchy’s Evil Plan Changes a BitHere is the second holiday strip from Charmy’s Army! We continue last week’s story with an update on Frenchy’s evil plan to steal some gold. I would love to really expand this idea out into a 30 minute animated Holiday Special one day. I think this story could be expanded nicely and shaped into a very fun story of greed being overcome by the Spirit of the holidays.
- Frenchy is Captured on Canvas!I am so very pleased with my painting for the Gallery Show in Keller, Texas! Frenchy looks amazing. I am getting more comfortable painting with each completed piece. Charmy took a few days to paint. Weaver also took a few days. Frenchy took just a day. Turtle is close to being completed and he also took a full day to paint once his painting gets the last few hours worth of work on those glasses and his shirt. Then, I justy have the Monkey to complete. Flimp will take another full day. I am going to complete these with NO time to spare.
- It is time for some HOLIDAY FUN!Once again, I am bringing a little holiday cheer with my comic strip. For the next few weeks, I will bring you a little story starring Frenchy. I wanted to write a mini story that is a bit twisted… and unlike anything else you have seen in the newspapers before. Sadly, sense I am not syndicated daily, I am only presenting a story that is three strips long. Hopefully next year I will finally be syndicated and I can bring everyone a two week, 12 strip long epic holiday story.
- Happy Thanksgiving!I have received more support this year from my readers than I have received over the course of the past 10 years. Your personal messages with words of support have been pouring in nearly every day. The expressions of love and appreciation at my comic con appearances has been awe inspiring. It was only three years ago I came off a huge monetary loss, appearing at show after show where no one knew who I was…. and I was ready to throw in the towel. Hard work pays off. I was relentless, pressing on, and I found an audience growing like a wild fire with each passing show. Flash forward to 2019 and I have turned a profit at EVERY show. I have even appeared at a few very bad shows this year, and I still pulled a profit at each one.
- Charmy’s Ten Year ChallengeTen years ago, while working at Funtastic Toys in Houston, I doodled this little ant on my lunch break. Charmy’s Army was born. I wanted to develop a drawing style similar to Pearl’s Before Swine when I was developing this new comic strip about a troop of army ants. I had perfected a style for my comic strip called Okrapolis, but that drawing style did not seem to get any attention. It was time for a change so I ripped off Stephan Pastis’s style… doing a rather poor version of his style I might add. For two years I struggled with a style that was no reflection of “who I am”. After two years, I slowly morphed Charmy and the gang into the look and feel you all know and love now.
See even MORE posts!
#comics #charmysarmy #webcomics #davyjones #cartoonistdavyjones #GoComics #KingFeatures #newspapercomicstrips